Payments for Independent Personal Services (Honoraria)

    Provisions regarding payments made through the vendor e-Pay system to non-employee aliens for independent personal services (such as honoraria, consulting fees, and performance fees) are subject to the following requirements:
    1. Must obtain proper visa classification for payment.
    2. Must have a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN).  ITIN is only available to non-employees who cannot obtain a Social Security Number.
    3. Residency Status will be determined through the Glacier Tax Compliance System.
    4. Foreign visitors who hold a B-1, B-2, WB, and WT visa, must complete UC Form "Certification of Academic Activity." Under the Act, an academic activity may not exceed nine days at a single institution, and the visitor cannot accept honoraria from more than five such institutions or organizations in the previous six-month period.
    5. Except for 5a or 5b below, all payments are subject to 30% federal tax withholding after subtracting the value of one personal exemption.
      1. If the foreign visitor is from a tax treaty country and meets the requirements of the applicable treaty, no federal tax withholding is required. The exemption from withholding becomes effective for payments made at least 10 days after IRS Form 8233 has been mailed to the IRS Office of Compliance.
      2. If the tax treaty benefit is not available and you're a resident of Canada, Mexico, or the Republic of (South) Korea; a student from India; or a U.S. national; you may be able to claim additional personal exemptions for your spouse and children. See Pub. 519 for more information.
    Payments to resident aliens for independent personal services (honoraria) are not subject to tax withholding, but are reported by the Accounting Office to the IRS on Form 1099-MISC, U.S. Information Return.  For policy and procedures, go to:

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Career OpportunitiesUCR Libraries
Campus StatusDirections to UCR

Accounting Office

Physical Address:
14350 Meridian Parkway, Riverside, CA 92518
Visitors to the IntelliCenter must be registered in advance

Mailing Address:
UC Riverside, Accounting Office-002
Riverside, CA 92521

Office Hours:
Mon-Fri (8:00 am - 5:00 pm)
Sat-Sun (Closed)

Tel: (951) 827-3303
Fax: (951) 827-3314
Contact Us