Travel for Foreign Visitors

Reimbursement for Travel and Incidental Expenses to Foreign Visiting Scholars

A foreign visiting scholar who is an employee of another entity (e.g., a foreign university) may be reimbursed for substantiated travel expenses. Such amounts are excludable from the individual's income, are not reported as compensation, and are exempt from withholding and payment of employment taxes.  A foreign visiting scholar who is an independent contractor may be reimbursed for travel expenses provided the expenses are properly substantiated and the amount of the reimbursement does not exceed the substantiated expenses. If these requirements are met, such payments are not subject to withholding or reporting.

Reimbursements for travel expenses may be restricted by the visitor's visa status or other requirements established by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.   Reimbursements should be processed through the iTravel application.  The following conditions must be met:

  1. Must obtain proper visa classification for payment.
  2. Almost every visa classification including J-1, B-1 and WB visa holders may be reimbursed for reasonable travel and incidental expenses incurred in connection with a usual academic activity, regardless of the duration of the activity and regardless of whether the individual has previously received payment from other educational institutions.
  3. B-2 and W-T visa holders  may be reimbursed for reasonable travel and incidental expenses incurred in connection with a usual academic activity not exceeding nine days in duration, provided that such individual has not received travel and incidental expenses from more than 5 educational institutions in the previous six-month period.  Please complete UC form  Certification of Academic Activity.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Career OpportunitiesUCR Libraries
Campus StatusDirections to UCR

Accounting Office

Physical Address:
14350 Meridian Parkway, Riverside, CA 92518
Visitors to the IntelliCenter must be registered in advance

Mailing Address:
UC Riverside, Accounting Office-002
Riverside, CA 92521

Office Hours:
Mon-Fri (8:00 am - 5:00 pm)
Sat-Sun (Closed)

Tel: (951) 827-3303
Fax: (951) 827-3314
Contact Us